National Honor Society
NHS Admission Process
- Each junior and senior student who has 3.25 or above cumulative GPA, as determined by the registrar, will receive an application for membership in the National Honor Society (NHS). Students must have been in attendance at Austin HS for at least one full semester to be eligible to apply.
- Acceptance into the National Honor Society is by invitation. In addition to scholarship, students must have demonstrated evidence of leadership, service, and outstanding character in high school.
- Applicants describe their accomplishments, positions of leadership, and service through community organizations and school activities. They may include sports, band, choir, and other extra-curricular and co-curricular activities. Students will not have an opportunity to revise their applications after they have been submitted.
- Austin High School faculty members who have taught qualified students or worked with them in clubs or other extra-curricular activities will also have the opportunity to comment on their observations regarding each applicant’s character as demonstrated by his or her academic integrity, compliance with school and district rules, and treatment of others.
- Applications may be turned in early. Students must meet application deadlines. No exceptions will be made except for catastrophic events (i.e. deaths in the family, unscheduled surgery, etc).
- Once students have submitted an application, the NHS Faculty Council will evaluate each applicant’s leadership, service and character according to a predetermined scoring rubric. The NHS Faculty Council will not see student names as it evaluates applications.
- Accepted students will be notified about mid-December and invited to the induction ceremony scheduled for the following January.
- As members of the National Honor Society, students agree to continue to excel in their service and leadership roles at the school, maintain their cooperative relationships with faculty and staff, and attend NHS meetings regularly as well as completing the chapter’s service hour requirements.
- Juniors who are not accepted into NHS will be invited to apply again their Senior year provided they maintain a GPA of 3.25 or above.
- Applications for the 2014-2015 school year are due no later than 4:30pm on Friday, November 21, 2014
Click here to download the NHS Handbook: National Honor Society Handbook