The 3 Initiatives: What are they?The 3 initiatives are proactive steps our faculty and staff take to ensure our students receive the best education. This is achieved by bringing focus to collaborative work and the alignment of resources in order to enhance the AHS experience and ensuring students achieve academically, socially, and emotionally.
21st Century Teaching and Learning
21st Century Teaching and Learning
- Student Engagement: Teachers create lessons and unit design that engage students at the highest level to maximize deep learning, show mastery of content, and make connections to the world. AISD 6Cs are embedded into the learning environment: Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Communication, Creativity, Connectivity, and Cultural Responsiveness
- Commons areas: Students have access to common areas throughout the building to work collaboratively with peers, charge devices, and access the student cloud.
- Innovation Lab (iLab): A place where students can explore their interests and talents, creatively design products, work collaboratively with peers to solve problems, utilize digital resources, and tap into projection devices.
- Library Redesign: Converting the library into a space that allows for flexible learning is our primary goal. Comfortable seating arrangements will allow for various types of meeting configurations. Multiple devices are available for student use based on the learning outcome (i.e. iPads, Chromebooks, Laptops, Desktops).
- Cultural Awareness and Sensitivity: Ensure a welcoming and supportive environment for students and parents. Students and staff participate in Circles of Care to address social-emotional learning needs.
- Parent and Community Engagement: PTSA, Principal coffee, Parent Education Series, “Loyal Forever” Alumni Network, Student Education Series, Vertical Team alignment
- Communication of Programming and Services: AHS website: www.austinhighmaroons.org, Twitter: @LoyalForeverAHS, PTSA weekly digital newsletter: The Maroon Update, Daily Announcements, The Maroon News: http://sfamaroon.org
- Academies model for core academics: Academy for Classical Studies, Academy for Global Studies, Academy of High Technology, Academy of Science & Innovation
- Elective Course Offerings: Fine Arts, CATE/STEM, Humanities, Athletics/PE, World Languages
- Support Services: FIT/Advisory, Academic and Guidance Counselors, College and Career Center, Office of Support Services, Innovation Lab (iLab), Library open before and after school, Camus-Based Counseling Referral Program, Group Counseling, Special Education, 504, ELL, GT
- Clubs and Activities: https://austinhighmaroons.org/activities-and-clubs.html
- Social & Emotional Learning (SEL): SEL is a research driven approach based on the tenets of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship skills. Students learn critical life skills such as managing emotions, solving problems effectively and establishing positive relationships.
- 9th Grade Initiative: Maroon Roundup, LINK Crew support and care, Academies, MAPS, AVID, advisory/FIT, and SEL.
- College and Career Readiness: Austin High students are College and Career Ready (CCR). Our students are academically challenged with advanced placement (AP) classes, TSI prep courses, ACC dual credit classes, and UT OnRamps. Our preAP and college-level classes challenge students in college-level work while our College and Career Center prepares all students for "life after Austin High." We embrace AVID school-wide strategies to ensure CCR equity for all students. Our advisory program includes lessons for each grade level, encouraging and supporting student awareness and engagement in CCR. Our counselors and teachers encourage and support students to challenge themselves in advanced coursework.