July 24, 2017
Dear Austin High Parents and Maroons,
Welcome back to the 2017-18 school year. What an exciting time to be a Maroon. As we prepare for the opening of school, know how excited we are for our students to return to Austin High. Our faculty and staff have worked diligently this summer to prepare for the opening of school and our PTSA is hard at work building partnerships with the school and the community. With a continued focus on student engagement and a commitment to 21st century learning, community involvement and marketing of our programming and services, Austin High will continue to uphold a strong reputation as one of the top high schools in the nation, where "Everybody is Somebody."
We are pleased to share with you several new support systems for our families and students. This August, Austin HIgh is moving to a 1:1 technology initiative. Each student will be issued an AISD Chromebook and students will use BLEND, an online platform for teaching & learning. Parents can read more about the AISD 1:1 initiative by reading the AISD Parent Training Guide. Before students are issued an AISD Chromebook, a parent must complete the Parent Consent for Issuing Technology Equipment for Use at Home. Parents must be logged into the AISD Parent Cloud to access the consent form. The AISD Student and Parent Cloud will continue to play an important role in the way we do business. If you haven't already updated your information in the Parent Cloud with Online Registration, please click on this link.
Before the first day of school, Austin High will host our annual Maroon Roundup for incoming 9th grade students and a Maroon Day for 10th - 12th grade students. Chromebooks will be issued on both days after the Parent Consent form is signed.
- Maroon Roundup for incoming 9th grade students on August 10, 2017
Freshmen Orientation with Link Crew, Academy Orientation with 9th grade teachers, and Chromebook pickup
9:30AM - 4:00PM (AISD bus service available)
- Maroon Day for 10th - 12th grade students on August 18, 2017
Plan for Approximately 60 minutes during designated times below to get student ID, school photo for 2017-18 yearbook, Chromebook pickup, parking permit*, and locate alpha homeroom.
Last Name A-G 9:00AM - 11:30AM
Last Name H-Q 12:00PM - 2:30PM
Last Name R-Z 3:00PM - 5:30PM
*Parking Permits are required and students may only park in designated AHS student parking. Please complete a Parking Permit Online Application and bring both a valid driver's license and proof of insurance (the student's name must be on the proof of insurance). In early fall, parking meters will be installed along Stephen F. Austin Blvd., Veteran's Drive, the tennis court parking lot, and the parking lot under the MoPac bridge beside the tennis courts. Students with AHS Parking Permits will not pay parking meter costs. Proceeds from metered parking will be designated to enhance security, lighting, and the grounds around Austin High School and the hike/bike trail.
Maroon Sticker: Seniors only (may park in tennis court lot, along the AHS track/field fence line, or the east side student parking lot).
White Stickers: Underclassmen (east parking lot and AHS trac/field fence line only).
As a reminder, our Tech Hub will be available as a technology support center for students and staff. Mr. Eric Dao, AHS Innovative Technology Specialist is housed in the Tech Hub and will support the 1:1 tech initiative, the AISD Student Cloud, and BLEND. Students with technical difficulties on an AISD or personal device can utilize the Tech Hub for technology support. Stop by the Tech Hub located in the front of the library with all your tech needs.
Did you know Austin High has a College-Career Center located on the 2nd floor in the new science wing? In order to ensure all students are College-Career Ready, Austin High's College-Career Center counselors will provide families access to the college application process, college visits, scholarships, ACC Dual Credit/UT OnRamps Early College Start programs, financial aid information, the college admissions process, internship opportunities, and much more.
Again this year, the school day will begin at 9:00AM and end at 4:20PM to accommodate the heavy traffic congestion around Austin High. Students with off periods 1st block will report to school at 10:30AM. In addition, please click here for designated drop off and pick up locations for parents to help the flow of traffic.
Due to traffic congestion around Austin High and the urban core of Austin, we encourage our students to consider alternative routes to Austin High (and it's good for the environment).
- Take the yellow dog! AISD School Bus Finder
- Carpooling with neighbors. Have you tried the Next Door app or Booster Club email lists? It works! Try the tagline: "Carpooling: Austin High School?"
- Walking or Biking is an excellent way to stay fit and help the environment. The City of Austin and Austin High have provided a "Walk & Bike Map" outlining safe bike and sidewalk routes to Austin High School. Check out the B-cycle Stations.
- Take a City Bus! CapMetro Planner. CapMetro Routes.
- Walk the MoPac Bridge! For families traveling from South Austin, drop your child on the south side of the MoPac foot bridge. It's safe and scenic option.
Freshmen parent drop off (first day of school only): Please use the east side Cesar Chavez entrance of campus. Student volunteers with "Link Crew" shirts will guide your child to the Performing Arts Center (PAC). We encourage students to ride the bus the first day due to traffic congestion around Austin High. After the first day of school, drop off is not allowed on the east side of campus.
- Has your child completed his/her Summer Assignments yet? To see a full list of summer assignments, review the Austin High website front page under "Important Info."
- Remember to join the PTSA! Our PTSA supports classroom enrichment and 21st century school initiatives. Show your support by joining the PTSA.
- Remember to register online through the AISD Parent Cloud. Periodic letters and weekly electronic newsletter will be sent home digitally throughout the school year. Through the AISD Parent Cloud, parents update their email address so the school can send out comunications, often specific to your child.
Lastly, helping our freshmen transition into a new school is a top priority. We look forward to meeting all new freshmen at Maroon Roundup. Link Crew members will lead activities to orient our newest Maroons to our building, serving as mentors and campus leaders to the future class of 2021!
While we honor our newest members to Austin High, we also celebrate the graduating class of 2018 with our traditional first day of school activities. All Maroons, including students and staff, want our first week of school to run smoothly, so a list of agreements have been honored each year in exchange for $2,000 given to the senior class for prom and project graduation. This $2,000 brings down the price of the individual prom ticket for every senior and helps support project graduation's FREE entrance. To earn the $2,000, the seniors must abide by the following agreements for the first day of school and throughout the 2017-18 school year:
- Seniors will decorate the second floor area the day before the first day of school.
- Seniors may participate in first day of school morning activities starting at 8:00AM and ending at 8:50AM in the senior parking lot with following restrictions:
- No derogatory words written or said toward the freshman or others, including vehicles;
- No glitter or permanent markers;
- Boys can wear overalls with at least one clip fastened with a shirt on or in pockets but a shirt must be worn inside the building;
- Only seniors allowed in the senior-only parking lot;
- No destruction of property (like spray painting in the neighborhood or demolishing signs/mailboxes);
- No destructive or negative behaviors (like hazing);
- No noise makers;
- No toilet papering trees or destruction of school property;
- Students must report to class on time with no hallway activity that delays or blocks hallways such as but not limited to chanting, moshing, or use of noise makers.
In closing, we welcome you to the 2017-18 school year. Austin High is a special place to learn and grow. We take pride in being Maroon and this year will prove to be one of the best.
Upcoming Important Dates:
August 9 - Freshmen Parent Camp, 5:300PM - 8:00PM
August 10 - Shared School Orientation, 8:40AM - 11:00AM (freshmen should attend Maroon Roundup)
August 10 - Maroon Round, 9:30AM - 4:00PM
August 18 - Maroon Day, Last Name A-G 9:00AM - 11:30AM; Last Name H-Q 12:00PM - 2:30PM; Last Name R-Z 3:00PM - 5:30PM
August 21 - First Day of School 9:00AM - 4:20PM
September 6 - Back to School Night
Principal, Austin High School