Dear Austin High Parents and Maroons,
Welcome back to the 2018-19 school year. What an exciting time to be a Maroon. As we prepare for the opening of school, know how excited we are for our students to return to Austin High. Our faculty and staff have worked diligently this summer to prepare for the opening of school and our PTSA is hard at work building partnerships with the school and the community. With a continued focus on student engagement and a commitment to 21st century learning, community involvement, and marketing of our programming and services, Austin High will continue to uphold a strong reputation as one of the top high schools in the nation, where "Everybody is Somebody."
We are continuing the Everyone:1 technology initiative in which students will have the option to bring their own device or check out an AISD Chromebook. Students will continue to use BLEND, an online platform for teaching & learning. Before students are issued an AISD Chromebook, a parent must complete the Parent Consent for Issuing Technology Equipment for Use at Hom. Parents must be logged into the AISD Parent Cloud to access the consent form. The AISD Student and Parent Cloud will continue to play an important role in the way we do business. If you haven't already updated your information in the Parent Cloud with Online Registration, please click on this link.
Before the first day of school, Austin High will host our annual Maroon Roundup for incoming 9th grade students. Chromebooks will be issued after the Parent Consent form is signed in the AISD Parent Cloud.
- Maroon Roundup for incoming 9th grade students on August 9, 2018
Freshmen Orientation with Link Crew, Academy Orientation with 9th grade teachers, and Chromebook pickup
9:30AM - 2:30PM (AISD bus service available)
Again this year, the school day will begin at 9:00AM and end at 4:25PM to accommodate the heavy traffic congestion around Austin High. Students with off periods 1st block will report to school at 10:30AM. In addition, please review the designated drop off and pick up locations for parents to help the flow of traffic.
Due to traffic congestion around Austin High and the urban core of Austin, we encourage our students to consider alternative routes to Austin High (and it's good for the environment). Find useful resources at: http://www.austinhighmaroons.org/parents/traffic-routes
- Take the yellow dog! AISD School Bus Finder
- Carpooling with neighbors. Have you tried the Next Door app or Booster Club email lists? It works! Try the tagline: "Carpooling: Austin High School?"
- Walking or Biking is an excellent way to stay fit and help the environment. The City of Austin and Austin High have provided a "Walk & Bike Map" outlining safe bike and sidewalk routes to Austin High School. Check out the B-cycle Stations.
- Take a City Bus! CapMetro Planner. CapMetro Routes.
- Walk the MoPac Bridge! For families traveling from South Austin, drop your child on the south side of the MoPac foot bridge. It's safe and scenic option.
Freshmen parent drop off (first day of school only): Please use the east side Cesar Chavez entrance of campus. Student volunteers with "Link Crew" shirts will guide your child to the Performing Arts Center (PAC). We encourage students to ride the bus the first day due to traffic congestion around Austin High. After the first day of school, drop off is not allowed on the east side of campus.
- Has your child completed his/her Summer Assignments yet? To see a full list of summer assignments, review the Austin High website front page under "Summer Assignments."
- Remember to join the PTSA! Our PTSA supports classroom enrichment and 21st century school initiatives. Show your support by joining the PTSA.
- Remember to register online through the AISD Parent Cloud. Periodic letters and weekly electronic newsletter will be sent home digitally throughout the school year. Through the AISD Parent Cloud, parents update their email address so the school can send out comunications, often specific to your child.
Lastly, helping our freshmen transition into a new school is a top priority. We look forward to meeting all new freshmen at Maroon Roundup. Link Crew members will lead activities to orient our newest Maroons to our building, serving as mentors and campus leaders to the future class of 2022!
While we honor our newest members to Austin High, we also celebrate the graduating class of 2019 with our traditional first day of school activities. All Maroons, including students and staff, want our first week of school to run smoothly, so a list of agreements have been honored each year in exchange for $2000 given to the senior class for prom and project graduation. This $2000 brings down the price of the individual prom ticket for every senior and helps support project graduation's FREE entrance. To earn the $2000, the seniors must abide by the following agreements for the first day of school and throughout the 2018-19 school year:
Seniors may participate in first day of school morning activities starting at 8:00a.m. and ending at 8:50 a.m. in the senior parking lot with the following restrictions:
- No derogatory words written or said toward the freshman or others, including vehicles;
- No glitter or permanent markers;
- Boys can wear overalls with at least one clip fastened with a shirt on or in pockets but a shirt must be worn inside the building;
- Only seniors allowed in the senior-only parking lot;
- No destruction of property (like spray painting in the neighborhood or demolishing signs/mailboxes);
- No destructive or negative behaviors (like hazing);
- No noise makers;
- No toilet papering trees or destruction of school property;
- Students must report to class on time with no hallway activity that delays or blocks hallways such as but not limited to chanting, moshing, or use of noise makers.
In closing, we welcome you to the 2018-19 school year. Austin High is a special place to learn and grow. We take pride in being Maroon and this year will prove to be one of the best.
Upcoming Important Dates:
August 8 - Freshmen Parent Camp, 5:300 - 8:00p.m.
August 9 - Shared School Orientation, 8:40 - 11:00a.m. (freshmen should attend Maroon Roundup)
August 9 - Maroon Round, 9:30 - 2:30p.m.
August 20 - First Day of School 9:00 - 4:25p.m.
September 5 - Back to School Night 5:00 - 8:30p.m.
Principal, Austin High School