College & Career Counselors
On This Page
- What We Do..
- College Visit Schedule
- ACT & SAT Test Dates
- Senior Scholarship Information
- College Application Process
- Dual Credit and Early College Start
- College for Undocumented Students
- Highlights from the College and Career Center
What We Do...
Junior Senior Checklist
Here is a great checklist of steps you should take throughout your junior and senior year. Print it out and mark off each milestone on your pathway to college!
College Visit Schedule
- College Reps please schedule here
- College sessions at AHS are posted online under "about college" in Naviance. Click on "View all upcoming college visits."
- Junior and Senior students must sign up online in order to attend. Then, they show their confirmation page as a pass, giving it to their teacher who must sign it in order for them to be excused from class to attend the college visit.
- Most visits are held in the College & Career Center on the 2nd floor in the Science Wing.
ACT and SAT Test Dates 2016-2017
|Date of Test||Test||Register By||Scores by: Web||Scores by: Mail|
|Sep. 10, 2016||ACT||Aug. 5 (8/19 with late fee)||Sep. 26||Oct. 1|
|Oct. 1, 2016||SAT & SAT Subject||Sep. 1 (9/20 with late fee)||Oct. 27||Nov. 5|
|Oct. 22, 2016||ACT||Sep. 16 (9/16 with late fee)||Nov. 7||Nov. 12|
|Nov. 5, 2016||SAT & SAT Subject||Oct. 7 (10/25 with late fee)||Nov. 29||Dec. 8|
|Dec. 3, 1016||SAT & SAT Subject||Nov. 3 (11/22 with late fee)||Dec. 23||Jan. 2|
|Dec. 10., 2016||ACT||Nov. 4 (11/18 with late fee)||Dec. 26||Dec. 31|
|Jan. 21, 2017||SAT & SAT Subject||Dec. 21 (1/10 with late fee)||Feb. 9||Feb. 18|
|Feb. 11, 2017||ACT||Jan. 13 (1/20 with late fee)||Feb. 27||Mar. 4|
|Mar. 11, 2017||SAT Only||Feb. 10 (2/28 with late fee)||Mar. 30||Apr. 8|
|Apr. 8, 2017||ACT||Mar. 3 (3/17 with late fee)||Apr. 24||Apr. 29|
|May 6, 2017||SAT & SAT Subject||Apr. 7 (4/25 with late fee)||May 25||Jun. 3|
|Jun. 3, 2017||SAT & SAT Subject||May 9 (5/24 with late fee)||Jun. 22||Jul. 1|
|Jun. 10, 2017||ACT||May 5 (5/19 with late fee)||Jun. 26||Jul. 1|
- If you qualify for a fee waiver for the test (if you qualify for free or reduced lunch) please visit the college & career center counselors for a test fee waiver. Remember by paying with a fee waiver, you also get application fee waivers (up to 8 total).
- You register for these exams online. The tests are offered here at Austin High and surrounding schools. They are all on Saturdays. SAT HERE ACT HERE
- Austin High has free online test prep as well here: sfalibrary.weebly.com/databases Use the passcode: austin2 and More Than A Teacher offers classroom based courses here as well, for both exams, they do cost.
- You should try to test no later than the October tests if you applying to 4 year colleges, becuase many have early deadlines for admissions and scholarships.
- You should take the writing for one at least of the tests, at least once. Both offer the writing as "optional". Some colleges require it, some do not. It is your responsibility to find that out from the colleges you are applying to.
- Remember that you are responsible for sending these test scores to the colleges you apply to, directly from the testing agencies site.
All Scholarships (there are hundreds listed) can be found on Naviance. Students Log on, click on the college tab, and then click on scholarship list. All of the applications, criteria, and due dates are listed for each individual one. There is a spreadsheet attached that I have created to help you organize the scholarships that are due between now and the end of May.
Austin Community Foundation will be offering the following scholarships specifically for Austin High Seniors this year, and all of these require applications online by April 15. See this link for qualifications and here to apply for the following scholarships.
- AHS Michael Scott Malone Memorial Fund (2 Awarded)
- AHS Joe Gault Memorial Scholarship Fund (1 Awarded)
- AHS Andrew Pickett Mobley Scholarship Fund (1 Awarded)
- AHS Class of '66 Scholarship Committee Fund (1 Awarded)
- AHS Andrew Alsup Memorial Endowment Scholarship (5-6 Awarded)
- AHS Jim Frederick Scholarship Fund (1 Awarded)
- AHS Eldridge and Birdie L. Moore Scholarship (1 Awarded)
- AHS Kristen E. Murphy Scholarship Endowment (1 Awarded)
- AHS Lauren Hoffman Memorial Scholarship (1 Awarded)
- AHS Class of 1949 Scholarship Fund (1 Awarded)
- AHS Carson Starkey Memorial Scholarship (1 Awarded)
- AISD Denius Endowed Scholarship for SFA-HS (1 Awarded)
- AHS Kiwanis Club Scholarship (1 Awarded)
- AHS Jamie Goode Scholarship (1 Awarded)
- AHS Alyssa Rose Hefley Memorial Scholarship (1 Awarded)
All ACF scholarships will be available through a brand new online application. Students should apply using this link: https://austincf.academicworks.com/
Austin Community College also has a full tuition and fee scholarships for one Austin High Senior who will be completing an Associate Degree at ACC. See here: https://austincc.academicworks.com/opportunities/1967
We are pleased to introduce Family Connection from Naviance, a web-based service designed especially for students and parents. Family Connection can help in making decisions about colleges and is used extensively by the counselor's office in helping students prepare for and apply for admission to colleges and other post-secondary opportunities.
Naviance How to Videos
Juniors & Seniors: How to sign up for and attend the college visits at Austin High http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cDQVDnjfct
College Application Process for Seniors
- Want to know how to apply to college, learn about Naviance, or have other questions about the process of getting into college? Read this brochure to learn more about the application process at Austin High. In addition, here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Seniors: How to manage your college applications in Naviance http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cDQVDojfVQ
Seniors: How to request letters of recommendation in Naviance http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cDQVDtjfVN
Dual Credit and Early College Start
- Find out more about ACC classes during high school with the informative handout.
College for Undocumented Students
Highlights from the College Center