Students who live outside the attendance zone
Austin High is a very welcoming place, so we love to see our family grow! If you are not in our attendance zone, but you are interested in our academies and award-winning programs, you may apply for a curriculum transfer. You'll also need to fill out an application for the academies. Transfer applications are reviewed through a competitive process that considers essay responses, grades, and test scores. Transfer students rank their academy preferences, and top appilcants are offered seats based on academy availability.
Consider your first and second choice carefully, as most students are placed in one of their top two choices. If you do not get your first choice, you will be placed on a waiting list and you may have the chance to move into that academy later, as students move and slots open up. If you would like to switch your academy, you may do so at the end of each semester, only if spots are available.
All applicants must fill out an online application.
Online application must be submitted by February 2, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
ESSAY AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENT
All applications submit the following along with the online application:
- Essay – Print and turn in on the lined paper provided
- Copy of student’s report card from the Fall 2017 semester of school
- Copy of student’s most recent STAAR scores (or equivalent nationally-recognized standardized exam)
Applications will be graded using a rubric. You may view a sample rubric here.
Applications may be hand-delivered to the Main Office on the 2nd floor at Austin High School or mailed to:
Attn: Academy Office
Austin High School
1715 W. Cesar Chavez
Austin, TX 78703
HAND-DELIVERY – Essay and supporting documents must be received by 5:00 p.m. on February 2, 2018.
MAILED – Applications delivered by mail must be postmarked on or before February 2, 2018.
Looking for More Information?
Fulmore, Kealing, private school, and other AISD middle schools: January 25, 2018 6:30 p.m.
Academy Application Timeline
- Applications available for student who live outside of the attendance zone - November 3, 2017
- Maroon & White Night (Austin High Showcase) - November 29, 2017 6:30 p.m.
- Application deadline for students who live outside of the attendance zone - February 2, 2018
- Lottery for students who live in the Austin High School attendance zone - February 16, 2018
- Decision letters mailed to students - February 23, 2018
- Contracts/Agreements due to AHS Office - March 9, 2018