Seven Austin ISD high schools are among the best in the nation, according to the 2016 Washington Post America's Most Challenging High Schools rankings.
Four of the seven were among the top-ranked public high schools on the magazine's list in 2015. (From AISD website)
After evaluating high schools throughout the country, The Washington Post ranked:
- Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders—25nd in Texas, 67th nationally;
- Anderson—64th in Texas, 418th nationally;
- Crockett—126th in Texas, 1271st nationally;
- Bowie—140th in Texas, 1788th nationally
- Akins—146th in Texas, 1940th nationally;
- Lanier—154th in Texas, 2198th nationally; and
- Austin—156th in Texas, 2262nd nationally.
Many of the seven AISD schools rank at the top of other national lists that recognize the best educational programs in the country.
The rankings are determined by taking the total number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Cambridge tests given at a school each year and dividing that by the number of seniors who graduated in May or June. Schools are then ranked in order of that ratio.